A Christmas Musical for Kids
When angels appeared outside the town of Bethlehem proclaiming the greatest news the world had ever heard, they didn’t deliver their message to the “high and mighty,” but to the simple and lowly — shepherds! And, not just any shepherds, but easily-disregarded “night shepherds.” Little did they know that the promised king, the Messiah from the line of King David, was born that night, right there in Bethlehem, and would grow up to be both the Lamb of God, and the Good Shepherd! Glory to God In the Highest became Glory to God in the Lowest, too, as the very Son of God came to the world He created as a tiny baby in a lowly manger!
Approximate Performance Time
Cast List/Character Descriptions
There are 13 speaking roles (11 characters with speaking parts, 2 Scripture readers, 2 non-speaking characters) available for casting in Glory to God in the Lowest. Any of the roles may be played by a boy or a girl with only slight name and gender modifications in the script. The indications below show how we recorded them on the demonstration recording. Many roles could be played by older youth or adults.
Rotate your device horizontally to view the entire table.
|Name||Gender*||What They’re Like ...|
|SHILOH||Female||A dissatisfied shepherd. Her father owns the flock. She wants more out of life than shepherding.|
|TABBIE||Female||She just entered her first year at the Shepherd Academy. This is her first night on the job.|
|EZRA||Male||He is the most experienced shepherd in the field. Very devout and waiting for the Messiah.|
|ABIGAIL||Female||A quirky shepherd, showing Tabbie the ropes on her first day.|
|SKIPPY||Male||A quirky shepherd who falls asleep counting sheep.|
|JETHRO||Male||The town veterinarian, makes hill calls and brings news from town.|
|CENSUS TAKER||Female||A census taker, awake in the middle of the night when the shepherds search for the Baby.|
|HANNAH||Female||A shepherd, in Scene 7 only.|
|LEAH||Female||A shepherd, in Scene 7 only.|
|LUCAS||Male||A shepherd, in Scene 7 only.|
|ANGEL||Female||The announcing angel. Two lines in the song, “For unto Us.”|
|MARY||Female||Biblical character. No lines.|
|JOSEPH||Male||Biblical character. No lines.|
We have provided the entire audio recording of all our musicals on this site to assist you in thoroughly evaluating the musical. We invite you to listen as many times as you wish, and even to invite your assistants or other choir helpers to come here to help you in evaluating the musical.
However, we ask you to please understand that we have not posted the recording here so that your choir members may utilize this audio to learn the musical, thereby avoiding purchase of the printed scores and/or recordings which are available for sale. Producing a great musical like this requires much work by dedicated writers, and much expense on the part of the publisher.
Simply put, if you use this free audio recording, which is provided for your convenience in evaluating the musical, as the tool to teach the music to the children in the choir instead of purchasing the products for the children, then we cannot afford to create musicals like this. We rely on the income from the purchase of our products (including some great lower-cost options like Bulk CDs, reproducible scripts and lyrics, and reproducible recordings) to fund the expense of producing this project for you.
Thank you for understanding!
Save money, enjoy more flexibility
We are happy to offer these special licensing options to make your life easier:
Reproducible Script & Lyrics
- We provide you with a master file of the drama script and song lyrics (text only, no music score), and a license granting you legal permission to print copies for your kids, copy and paste into PowerPoint or other projection program to use in rehearsals and performance, print on a white board or flip chart. In fact, you can do all of these if you wish.
- You tell us the total quantity of users, and you pay $2 per user regardless of whether you print out copies for them every week, or use only projection, etc. The fee is not “per copy,” but “per user.” If you pay for 25 now, and end up with 35 later, you just return here, log in to your account, and pay for the additional users. Or, if the quantity you need to add is less than the default minimum of 15 allowed by the shopping cart, please just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and tell us how many more you need.
- Along with the huge cost-savings, this option offers great flexibility in that you can easily edit the script, allowing you to add or subtract characters, change names, divide up parts, etc., before printing and distributing to your kids. You can also add in staging cues to fit your situation, or add your own director notes or instructions. You may also print copies to send home, print other copies to keep at church or school, print more copies to send home when the first ones are lost ;-), so that no one ever needs to be caught without their copy.
Reproducible Script & Lead Sheets
- Similar to the Script & Lyrics, but the songs are single-stave vocal line scores (just like the choral book) presented in PDF files, while the drama script comes as an easy-to-edit Microsoft Word file. This also offers a tremendous cost savings at just $3.25 per user.
Reproducible Demo Recording
- Burn your own CDs for just $5 per copy. We provide you with a license granting you full legal permission to either copy an existing CD (perhaps the CD that comes in the back of the Review Pack), or download the recording in MP3 format. Of course, you may prefer to purchase our Bulk CD 10-packs for $59.99 (essentially $6 per disc), or you may choose this reproducible option for $5 per copy.
- In addition to the cost savings, this can provide some additional flexibility. You can opt for any quantity (5 copy minimum), and not be constrained to quantities of 10. Before burning your CD copies, you can choose exactly what you want on the copied CDs. For example, you may want to leave off the recorded drama dialog on the copies that most of the kids receive, and only include it on copies that the actors receive.