The Christian life is not a solo act … we are the body of Christ.
On a beautiful Saturday morning, the kids choir from First Church has just hit the ground at Rock Creek Park for a missions work day. Recent floods have severely damaged the park and surrounding neighborhood homes. While their leader Miss Stone “rallies the troops” to get to work on the cleanup, she reminds the kids that famous Christian rock star Max Rockanelli will also be in the park today to lend a hand.
Though cleanup of the park and repairs to the rock retaining wall are the order of the day, three of our main characters are thinking about something else. Jazz (a singer), Charlie (a drummer), and Sam (a guitar player) have caught wind that not only will Max be helping in the park, he will be shooting his new music video here, and perhaps this could be the “big break at stardom” each of them has dreamed about. A fourth character, Worthington Billingham (the quirky but lovable kid who always seems to be sneezing) surprises everyone by announcing his interest in “auditioning” for the video as well. Not a musician, Worthington aspires to play the role he wrongly imagines to be the central focus of Max’s new song titled “Let’s Rock!” He wants to play the part of … The Rock … literally, a big rock.
While the kids make their humorous but slightly off-base grabs at the spotlight, Taylor is quietly and diligently working behind the scenes to get things cleaned up, and to help a neighborhood girl, Ruby, plant flowers in her yard. In the process she very naturally shares with Ruby what is behind their efforts in the park today. Taylor is using her gifts, in a quiet way, to help others, and in the process she is pointing them to Jesus.
Max appears on the scene, and lovingly helps show the kids that in the body of Christ, God has given gifts to all of us. We shouldn’t use them to get attention for ourselves, and we don’t need to envy somebody else’s gifts, but we need to use the ones we’ve been given, and work together to serve others, glorify God, and point people to Jesus. Soon, the over-the-top Hollywood video director Stephie Steelburg arrives, it is time to shoot the video, and with a newfound understanding of really working together to use the gifts God’s given, all the kids are ready for the climactic conclusion when the cameras roll, and Max shouts … “Let’s Rock!”
The work is simple to perform, but packs a real punch, with rich characters, fast-moving dialog that is fun, but not “smart-alecky,” and a strong Biblical “take-away” for the performers and the audience.
Approximate Performance Time
Cast List/Character Descriptions
There are 11 speaking roles available for casting in Let’s Rock!. Any of the roles may be played by a boy or a girl with only slight name modifications in the script. The indications below show how we recorded them on the demonstration recording. Many roles could be played by older youth or adults.
Rotate your device horizontally to view the entire table.
|Name||Character||Gender||What They’re Like ...||No. of Scenes|
|Max Rockanelli||Older boy, speaks/sings||Boy||Christian rock star, wise and mature. Biggest role, may also be performed by youth or young adult.||7|
|Taylor||Older girl, speaks||Girl||Helpful, friendly person.||6|
|Miss Stone||Adult character, speaks (may be played by child or teen)||Girl||Kids choir director, normal, not over-the-top or goofy.||7|
|Jazz||Older girl, speaks/sings||Girl||Star struck, slightly a vocal diva but means well.||7|
|Sam||Older boy, speaks/sings||Boy||Star struck guitarist, not smary but misguided.||9|
|Charlie||Older boy, speaks/sings||Boy||Star struck drummer, not smarty but misguide. Has a solo where he sings off key.||7|
|Worthington||Older boy, speaks||Boy||He is slightly nerdy with allergies. He is the comic role and needs to have a personality.||6|
|Ruby||Younger or Older Girl, speaks||Girl||Neighbor at the park. Is excited to meet new friends. Sweet.||4|
|Stephie Steelburg||Older Girl, speaks||Girl||She's an over-the-top Hollywood director type.||2|
|Sarah||Younger Girl, speaks||Girl||Speaks three brief lines.||1|
|Candy||Younger Girl, speaks||Girl||Speaks two brief lines.||1|
Questions or Special Requests?
Are you hoping to record your performance on video and make DVDs or put it up on the web? Please don't hesitate to contact us for this license or any other special requests or questions and we will be happy to help! Visit the Contact Page for more information.
We have provided the entire audio recording of all our musicals on this site to assist you in thoroughly evaluating the musical. We invite you to listen as many times as you wish, and even to invite your assistants or other choir helpers to come here to help you in evaluating the musical.
However, we ask you to please understand that we have not posted the recording here so that your choir members may utilize this audio to learn the musical, thereby avoiding purchase of the printed scores and/or recordings which are available for sale. Producing a great musical like this requires much work by dedicated writers, and much expense on the part of the publisher.
Simply put, if you use this free audio recording, which is provided for your convenience in evaluating the musical, as the tool to teach the music to the children in the choir instead of purchasing the products for the children, then we cannot afford to create musicals like this. We rely on the income from the purchase of our products (including some great lower-cost options like Bulk CDs, reproducible scripts and lyrics, and reproducible recordings) to fund the expense of producing this project for you.
Thank you for understanding!
For those who are performing with "live" accompaniment, we provide a free download of the Sound Effects on the SoundFX Page, or by clicking the download link below!
We've provided graphic files for you to download to use for posters, bulletins, ads, and tattoos (well, be careful on that one!). These files may be downloaded and used in conjunction with your performance for no charge. Click the thumbnails below to enlarge.
Save money, enjoy more flexibility
We are happy to offer these special licensing options to make your life easier:
Reproducible Script & Lyrics
- We provide you with a master file of the drama script and song lyrics (text only, no music score), and a license granting you legal permission to print copies for your kids, copy and paste into PowerPoint or other projection program to use in rehearsals and performance, print on a white board or flip chart. In fact, you can do all of these if you wish.
- You tell us the total quantity of users, and you pay $2.99 per user regardless of whether you print out copies for them every week, or use only projection, etc. The fee is not “per copy,” but “per user.” If you pay for 25 now, and end up with 35 later, you just return here, log in to your account, and pay for the additional users. Or, if the quantity you need to add is less than the default minimum of 15 allowed by the shopping cart, please just email us at email@example.com, and tell us how many more you need.
- Along with the huge cost-savings, this option offers great flexibility in that you can easily edit the script, allowing you to add or subtract characters, change names, divide up parts, etc., before printing and distributing to your kids. You can also add in staging cues to fit your situation, or add your own director notes or instructions. You may also print copies to send home, print other copies to keep at church or school, print more copies to send home when the first ones are lost ;-), so that no one ever needs to be caught without their copy.
Reproducible Script & Lead Sheets
- Similar to the Script & Lyrics, but the songs are single-stave vocal line scores (just like the choral book) presented in PDF files, while the drama script comes as an easy-to-edit Microsoft Word file. This also offers a tremendous cost savings at just $3.99 per user.
Reproducible Demo Recording
- Burn your own CDs for just $5.99 per copy. We provide you with a license granting you full legal permission to either copy an existing CD (perhaps the CD that comes in the back of the Review Pack), or download the recording in MP3 format. Of course, you may prefer to purchase our Bulk CD 10-packs for $69.99 (essentially $6.99 per disc), or you may choose this reproducible option for $5.99 per copy.
- In addition to the cost savings, this can provide some additional flexibility. You can opt for any quantity (5 copy minimum), and not be constrained to quantities of 10. Before burning your CD copies, you can choose exactly what you want on the copied CDs. For example, you may want to leave off the recorded drama dialog on the copies that most of the kids receive, and only include it on copies that the actors receive.